Like a large sum of the global population, I suddenly found myself last week with more free time than I have ever had before. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, governments across the world have imposed nationwide lockdowns with many of us only leaving the house for essentials and exercise. During this time, many of us have decided to pass the time by picking up a spatula and baking some delicious treats.
Now I can’t claim to be good at many things. But one thing I can say is that I make a mean chocolate brownie. The perfect brownie should be chocolatey, decadent but most importantly – chewy. In my opinion, there is nothing more disappointing than biting into a brownie to find it drier than the Sahara.
Chocolate Brownies are great to bake as they are relatively quick, simple and the ingredients are items you will often find already in your kitchen cupboards. (Just make sure the ingredients are in date and have not in fact been sitting in your cupboard since before the dawn of time.)
One thing I love about the brownie is not only is it delicious but incredibly versatile. Once you have nailed your basic recipe, it’s easy to adapt to add additional snacks such as nuts, dried fruits (if you want to feel less guilty about your impending brownie binge), your favourite chocolate or desiccated coconut if you’re feeling fancy! One of my favourite adaptations is my Creme Egg Brownies.
But before you run, you should at least attempt to walk and master the basics. If you are looking for a recipe for the most deliciously chewy brownie, then look no further.
- 115g / 4oz plain chocolate
- 175g / 6oz room temp butter or margarine
- 340g / 12oz caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 115g / 4oz plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven at 180C / 356F
- Grease a 9×12” (22x30cm) square baking tin and line with baking parchment
- Break the chocolate into small squares and slowly melt in a heatproof bowl over simmering water
- Once the chocolate is melted, add small pieces of butter to mix and stir until all is melted
- Put the mix into a large bowl, stir in caster sugar and vanilla essence
- Whisk three eggs and beat into the chocolate mix a little at a time until the mix has a smooth glossy shine
- Sift flour and baking powder in and mix well
- (Optional) at this point, fold in any additional ingredients you wish to add. Folding in will allow for them to distribute evenly amongst the mixture.
- Pour mixture into the prepped tin and lightly shake to allow the mixture to settle evenly. Smooth top with spatula or knife if needed.
- Bake for approx 40 mins. Pierce with a skewer or knife if it comes out clean then it’s ready, if not then pop back into the oven for 5 minutes at a time.
- Let it cool on a rack then cut.
There’s no better home comfort than some home baking. It’s a way to show you care, it’s a great way to spend time with your kids or family and a way to feel closer to people that aren’t with you for whatever reason. I love baking because it makes me feel closer to my mum, something we spent a lot of time doing together when I was growing up and still do when we make the trip to the Western Isles to visit my grandparents.
What is your go-to recipe which you are proud to say you absolutely nail?
I hope those of you that try my brownie recipe, enjoy it. Please let me know if you do, it would make my day!
Until next time,
Follow my Pinterest: https://pin.it/xjzixgo3ohpr3u
Follow my Instagram: http://ow.ly/yauZ30mYpy4
Follow my Twitter: http://ow.ly/JGwI30mYpST