“The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don’t know what the hell they’re doing, or who on earth they are can – for only $2.95 – get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino.” – You’ve Got Mail reading us all for filth since 1998.
In a world where drink orders are getting increasingly more complex and our dependence on coffee shops more prevalent than ever, sometimes a plain coffee with milk at home just isn’t going to cut it. This is where the latest viral internet sensation comes in – Dalgona Coffee.
Dalgona Coffee has origins from Rajasthan, India where it is most commonly known as whipped coffee, beaten coffee or Phenti Hui Coffee. The only difference is that when making Phenti Hui, milk is poured over the top of the whipped mix rather than spooning the whipped coffee over the milk. Dalgona Coffee has become viral after a South Korean actor had something similar whilst abroad that reminded them of ‘dalgona’, a South Korean honeycomb treat. The #dalgonacoffeechallenge then became a trend on South Korean YouTube channels before becoming popular on TikTok and Instagram.
Dalgona Coffee is super simple to make and super grid-worthy. Find out how to make it below.
What you’ll need (per serving):
- 2 tbsps your favourite instant coffee
- 2 tbsps hot water
- 2 tbsps granulated sugar
- Your favourite type of milk
- Ice (if serving cold)
- Milk Frother/Electric Whisk (not essential but recommended)
- Add your coffee, water and sugar in a small bowl and begin to mix.
- Use a milk frother or electric whisk to whip the coffee mixture until it’s stiff, fluffy and light brown in colour. (You can do this by hand but be prepared to be doing it for a while).
- If serving hot, heat milk on the stove, if serving cold add ice. Take your favourite mug and fill ¾ with milk.
- Pour/spoon your coffee mixture over the milk and serve.
Have you tried Dalgona coffee or any other viral trends recently? What’s been your favourite?
Until next time,
Follow my Pinterest: https://pin.it/xjzixgo3ohpr3u
Follow my Instagram: http://ow.ly/yauZ30mYpy4
Follow my Twitter: http://ow.ly/JGwI30mYpST